Zach and I were vacationing in New York Feb. 25 - March 1 for a relative's black-tie birthday shindig when Zach started suspecting something. He kept telling me that my body looked different, and that I smelled different, and that something about that smell just made him want to protect me. He swore I was pregnant; I swore he was wrong. I wasn't even "late" yet -- how could he have any idea?
After hearing him say it for a few days in a row, I decided I might as well take a home pregnancy test and shut him up. Lord knows I wanted a baby, and hearing him say that over & over was just setting me up for disappointment, I just knew it. We made it back to San Diego the evening of March 1, and when I woke up March 2, I snuck off to the bathroom to use a First Response Early Response pregnancy test. I needed to dash those hopes before they set in too solidly and got me in trouble. So much for dashing hopes though, 'cause that second line showed up QUICK. And bold. I couldn't believe it.
I had always hoped that when I found out we were going to have a baby, that I would fix some special dinner, or plan an evening out, or make something cute and creative to give to him as a way of telling him. Nope. Why did I ever think I would have self-restraint?
I ran to the bedroom and flopped on the bed, on my knees, right next to him. "Hey. Hey. Hey, hey, hey. Hey. Hey. HEY." He rolled over and squinted at me. I'm pretty sure the test was in his face before his eyes were fully open. He stared at it for a second, unaffected, because he was still just trying to process being awake. I could tell when he figured it out, because he went from looking sleepy and irritated to just blank.
"Are you pregnant?"
"YES!"
Then the blank went to ecstatic, and much hugging and kissing ensued. I don't think he even made it out of bed to pee before we started calling people and sharing our good news. Apparently neither of us is good at keeping secrets! So even though he knew I was pregnant before I even knew, that's the story of how I confirmed his suspicion that we were expecting our first child. Grow, little one, grow! I can't wait to meet you this November!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congrats guys. You two are going to be awesome parents. I'm happy for you.
ReplyDelete